Investigate your choreographic process with three of our renowned faculty members as they help you discover new ways to bring your ideas to life in a positive and supportive environment. Explore compositional elements from the development of a movement phrase to the technical elements of staging a work in this two-day workshop.
This two-day workshop will include:
- Classes with Ginger Cox, Derek Mitchell, and Kristin Sudeikis
- Panel Discussion with working Choreographers who will share their experiences and artistic methods
- Seminar with special guest Lighting Designer Rebecca Marzalek who will discuss how to use lights to create a mood, working with a stage manager, and other technical aspects of dance in the theater
- Showing at the end of the two days
- OPTIONAL Informal Showing to be held in Broadway Dance Center’s Studio A on October 19th from 6-9 pm
- We encourage participants to continue to work on the material created during the workshop. This informal showing is to provide the opportunity to showcase the work and skills developed outside of the workshop. If you choose to participate, you will be given a single one-hour long rehearsal at BDC prior to the show date.
This workshop welcomes advanced beginner dancers, teachers and choreographers (ages 21 and above) with an open mind and the willingness to contribute ideas. No prepared material is required.
For additional information or questions, please email [email protected] or call our registration office at 212-582-9304 x 23.
DATE & TIME
TWO-DAY WORKSHOP - new dates coming soon!
$195 for two-day workshop. Includes all closed master classes, seminars, and showings.
Adv Beg Level • Ages 21+
Saturday (8 am-6 pm – Studio 5)
- Welcome/Sign-In/Meet & Greet
- Guided Improvisation and Creative Exercises with Faculty
- Panel with Industry Choreographers
- Improvisational Partnering with Ginger Cox
- Contemporary Jazz with Derek Mitchell
- Master Class with Kristin Sudeikis
- Seminar with Lighting Designer Rebecca Marzalek
- “Creating a Vision for Your Piece”
Sunday (8 am-2:30 pm – Studio A)
- Seminar on Organizing & Maximizing a Productive Tech
- Rehearsal / Tech
- Wrap-up with Ginger, Kristin, Derek
Ginger Cox's multifaceted career as a teacher, choreographer and dancer has taken her all over the world. She is an Adjunct Professor of Dance at Pace University, on the PULSE Teacher’s Workshop faculty, and the Artistic Director of LiNK! the movement dance company. Jazz Dance E-news describes her versatile choreography as ‘Absorbing,’ and ‘inventive,’ with ‘Amusing Creativity.’ Ginger has choreographed for Nike, the NJ Nets Dancers, recording artist Lijie, Dancing Wheels, Collaborative Movement Dance Company, the Hanayashiki show in Japan, several industrials, and was one of 10 chosen to present work in the Élan Awards, honoring Mr. Lar Lubavich. ... [read more]
Derek Mitchell is one of today's most sought out choreographers. He has choreographed projects utilizing almost every style of dance and that versatility makes him an asset to any project.He was just nominated for The 2013 Capezio A.C.E. Award for Choreographic Excellence. Derek most recently choreographed a TV Commercial for Season 5 of The Wendy Williams Show in NYC. He has also choreographed a total of 15 Contemporary Jazz and Street Jazz duets and group pieces for So You Think You Can Dance - Ukraine. In 2012 and in 2013, he choreographed numbers for Jerry Mitchell’s Broadway Bares Benefit for Broadway Cares Equity Fights Aids. Derek has choreographed music videos and world tours for Taiwanese Superstar Jolin Tsai, as well as Sylvia Tosun - Billboard Magazine’s #1 Dance recording artist. He has also choreographed for the House of Blues in Atlantic City with Freedom Williams, music videos for Push ‘n’ Pull, 5 Reasons and World Keeps Turning, Billboard Top 40 Dance Artist Bex (What You Are and Life of the Party music videos and live performances). ... [read more]
A choreographer, dancer, teacher, and producer, Kristin Sudeikis is a highly influential member of the dance community. As Artistic Director of Kristin Sudeikis Dance and as a commercial choreographer, Kristin creates work that is rooted in igniting social activism. Kristin's commercial work ranges from screen to brand promotion, most notably the NIKE Blast women’s training event in Stockholm. Kristin and her choreography have also been featured on NBC’s30 Rock; with Mariah Carey on Good Morning America; in music videos and on tour; and in such publications as Marie Claire, Dance Teacher Magazine, and SHAPE... [read more]
Rebecca Marzalek-Kelly (Lighting Designer) is a Brooklyn based Director and Lighting Designer. Working in NYC for over a decade she is grateful to have collaborated with Fovea Floods Theater, The Bushwick Starr, Labyrinth Theater Company, and Kristin Sudeikis Dance. Her work has been seen at The Public Theatre, PS 122, The Bushwick Starr, Theater for a New City, and The Chocolate Factory. She currently works for Theatre Communications Group and, outside of working to support non-profit theatre across the country, she also stage manages their National Conference and other events. She’s a three time grant recipient at TCG and has been awarded funding to study theatre in Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, and New Mexico. She has a B.S. in theatre from Skidmore College and has trained with Anne Bogart’s SITI Company, The Williamstown Theatre from Vermont.
Students who have registered and paid for the workshop, but withdraw on or before Sep 5, 2014, are entitled to a full refund less an administrative fee of $25.00. No refunds will be given after this date.