Broadway Dance Center and So Danca present: 2015 Professional Semester Audition Tour
The Professional Semester is BDC's elite professional training program, offering the advanced technical training; pragmatic branding, marketing, and professionalism skills; and powerful networking opportunities with agents and casting directors to help you launch a sustainable career in dance.
Please bring head-shot and resume; auditions are multi-disciplinary, including ballet, jazz/contemporary, theater, hip-hop, and tap; please prepare accordingly. Auditions are for Summer & Fall 2015, Spring 2016; those selected will receive guaranteed acceptance to the course and a waiver of application fee. We will still be accepting video submissions as detailed in the application process. Advance RSVPs for all auditions are requested but not required.
- March 15: NYC Broadway Dance Center. Sign in by 6:30pm on ground floor.
- April 18 & 19: Pittsburgh, PA
- April 25 & 26: Chicago , IL
- May 2 & 3: Dallas, TX
Saturday, May 2 • 10:00am - 2:00pm at Southern Methodist University
Sunday, May 3 • Noon - 2:00pm at Dallas Power House of Dance
BDC Professional Semester: The Artistry and Industry of Dance
Broadway Dance Center, the ultimate home for professional dancers in New York City, is proud to present The Professional Semester at BDC, an exciting program designed for the aspiring professional dancer.
This four-month course is the ideal option for well-trained dancers looking to launch their professional careers. Whether you are a graduate of a university dance program, a current student looking to spend a semester dancing in the field, a recent high school graduate hoping to broach the dance industry, or a currently working professional looking for an intensive course to hone your skills, The Professional Semester offers the pragmatic coursework you need to establish yourself as a working dancer.
Our comprehensive syllabus includes multi-disciplinary technique classes, practical seminars to educate you on the industry, mock auditions to provide real-world experience, and numerous networking opportunities to secure your footing as a working artist.
We encourage you to apply for this elite program that will transform you from dance student to dance professional.
Check out the successes of previous Professional Semester dancers:
|Julia Udine is starring as Christine on Broadway in The Phantom of the Opera.||Tina Jackson just danced with Beyoncé in MTV's Video Music Awards.||Michal Kolaczkowski is performing in the Beauty and the Beast national tour and understudying Lumiere.||Alyssa Lemons is now a Radio City Rockette.|
Pro Sem Students in Dance Spirit Magazine!
BDC has sought the input of countless industry professionals in crafting this powerful program. The seminars, master classes, mock auditions, performance opportunities, and faculty mentoring are designed to maximize your time at BDC and offer you every tool and skill you’ll need to succeed.
Below we’ve listed some of the elements that make up this remarkable course.
- Fall and Spring Terms
For Summer training, please consider our Summer Professional Semester
- Comprehensive full-time program includes weekly seminars, master classes, mock auditions, and rehearsals.
- Concentrated week of Orientation activities, including Placement Class with Faculty Panel, Injury Prevention Seminar, and more
- Students take twelve classes weekly from our incomparable schedule of over 250 weekly classes
- Weekly seminars addressing every aspect of professionalism
- Master classes and mock auditions, including singing and acting training, commercial and video training and more
- Networking opportunities with multiple dance agencies, casting agents, and faculty members
- Performance opportunities
- Free rehearsal space
- Faculty Mentoring
- Full-time Student Advisor for scheduling guidance
- Program concludes with showcase finale at local Manhattan theater for an audience including NYC dance industry professionals
- Students should ensure that they have adequate financial resources to support their studies during the semester – please defer your application to the following semester if you need more time to amass these funds.
- Though scheduling does vary, accepted dancers should be available weekday mornings from 8am-11am regularly. Students select the majority of their classes from our legendary open-class schedule but these times are mandatory for program events.
BDC offers rolling admissions. You will be notified of acceptance within three weeks after receipt of your completed application.
Age limits: 18-27
Each application packet must be submitted with the following materials — incomplete applications will not be considered:
- Completed application form including short-answer essay questions
(Download the application form here)
- Dance résumé
- Work résumé
- Two letters of recommendation
- Headshot or portrait photo
- Personal Statement of 50 words or less
- Two minute DVD recording or YouTube URL (please email link to [email protected]). While BDC is proud to honor various disciplines, ballet is a required component of the course — please demonstrate your technical training or aptitude by displaying one minute of straightforward center ballet-based work (tombé, pas de bourré, glissade, assemblé, tendu fourth, pirouette, land fourth; and a grand jeté or saut de chat for example). The second minute should display your best personal style.
- $50 Application Fee • Click here to pay by Credit Card
Scan and email all documents to [email protected] – we do not accept faxed applications. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Broadway Dance Center will notify you via email upon acceptance — you must have a valid email address.
Or Mail checks/payment information and forms to:
Broadway Dance Center
Attn: Professional Semester
322 West 45th Street, 3rd Floor
New York, New York 10036
Checks payable to Broadway Dance Center (check or money order)IMPORTANT DATES
|Session||Start Date||End of Program||App Deadline
|Fall 2015||Aug 24, 2015||Dec 13, 2015||Jul 31, 2015||Nov 23-29||$3,750|
|Spring 2016||Jan 11, 2016||May 1, 2016||Dec 25, 2015||Mar 28-Apr 3||$3,750|
|Fall 2016||Aug 22, 2016||Dec 11, 2016||Jul 29, 2016||Nov 21-27||$3,750|
Tuition for The Professional Semester is $3,750, which includes all classes, seminars, Master Classes, performance opportunities, and counseling sessions.
In order to succeed in the program, students must arrive with the necessary funds to support their living expenses during the semester. Part-time work is acceptable but we strongly advise against trying to work full-time while participating in the program.
If you choose to take additional classes beyond your mandatory 12 per week, you may do so at a reduced class rate, or may extend your work hours in exchange for discounted classes.
Once you are accepted into the program, a deposit of $1,875 (half tuition) is due within 30 days of acceptance to secure your spot: the balance is due upon starting the program.
There are no refunds once you have begun the program.
While we cannot provide housing during your stay, we are happy to suggest reliable and safe ways of securing accommodation – please email [email protected] for information.
In some cases the BDC Professional Semester may be accepted for college credit – please contact us for a list of universities that grant credit for the program, or speak to the Dance Department representative at your school.
This program is only available for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens (Green Card holders).
International Students, please consider our International Student Visa Program (ISVP).
|Stephanie Brooks and Danielle Burdick are touring the country in Mamma Mia.||Eliza Ohman is performing in the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.||Zanza Steinberg is dancing in Chicago on Royal Caribbean.||Nikki Croker is performing in Mamma Mia on Royal Caribbean.|
|Corey O'Brien toured internationally with The Aluminum Show after finishing a contract with Royal Caribbean International as a dancer and acrobat.||Greer Gisy was the dance captain for the In the Heights National Tour!||Jenifer Dillow performed in Barrington Stage Company's On The Town choreographed by Josh Bergasse and in Much Ado About Nothing.||Samantha Sweed earned her SAG/AFTRA card working on Orange Is The New Black.||Nicole Butler was a Rockette for the regional Radio City Christmas Spectacular.|
|Natalie "McFancy" Wise as recently featured on the Jenny McCarthy Show and will perform one of her hula-hoop acts at Electric Forest Festival.||Kelsey Stenta was cast in Philadanco's apprentice company, D2.
|Kayla Janssen won the Adidas Dancers Wanted Competition and will get to dance with Katy Perry's choreographers!||Allie Dietz danced for AT&T in a flash mob to promote Jason Derulo and was in Le Grande Cirque at Niagara Falls, Thriller with Odyssey Dance Theater, and Spirit of Christmas with Dublin Worldwide Productions.||Jessica Seavor performed as June and understudied Velma in Chicago at Arts Center of Coastal Carolina.|
|Rachel Feretti danced on Disney Cruise Lines.||Sophia LaVonne choreographed/danced in a show for a GE Medical conference in Las Vegas, and just danced on BET's 106 & Park with singer/rapper Bijon Nichole.||Latoyia Everett performed on Norwegian Cruise Line as a dancer and the Dance Captain. She is also partnered with an international cheer camp company and to set choreography.||Cassidy Gerczak has been sailing the seven seas and performing around the world as a dancer for Norwegian Cruise Lines.||Lexi Dysart honed her choreographic voice while in the program and was accepted into the Young Choreographer's Festival in NYC.|
|Savannah Cobb danced at Hershey Park immediately following her program!|
Congratulations to the following dancers who now have agency representation: Stephanie Brooks (MSA)*, Nikki Croker (MSA), Brooke Marinovitch (MSA)*, Matt Tremblay (Bloc), Asher Walker (Clear Talent), Tina Jackson (Bloc), Rob Coglitore (Clear), Nick Silva (Clear), Danielle Hernandez (MSA), Rachel Guest (MSA),Liz Conway (MSA), Katie McMillen(MSA), and Mary Callahan (MSA)*.